Vaping for the First Time
Are you thinking about taking up vaping, and looking to find out more about using e-cigarettes? Maybe you’re a new vaper looking for tips on how to vape properly. Whether you’re a long-time smoker making the switch to e-cigarettes or simply a curious newbie wondering how to use a vape (and just what all the fuss is about), check out our simple guide to vaping for the first time.
What does vaping feel like?
Vaping is a very different experience to smoking cigarettes. With traditional smoking, it’s all about inhaling to experience a nicotine hit (and all the unhealthy side-effects that come with a tobacco-based product). Of course, some traditional tobacco products are flavoured, but items like menthol cigarettes have always been a niche market that’s secondary to the mainstream occupation of smoking.
Using e-cigarettes, however, is very different. One of the main characteristics of vaping is the variety of different e-liquid flavours on offer, which can enhance your experience by conjuring up tastes and aromas of all kinds. One of the best parts of learning how to use a vape is experimenting with different flavours to see which ones you like best.
Because vaping products don’t usually contain tobacco, they’re a healthier way to combat your cravings. And while many varieties of e-liquid do contain nicotine (and the nicotine is the reason why many people choose to vape), it’s certainly not always the case. Some vapers prefer to inhale nicotine-free vape juice, just for the sheer joy of vaping.
Finding your way around an e-cigarette
When learning how to use a vape, it’s important to understand the anatomy of a typical e-cigarette. Many e-cigarettes are designed to look a bit like a traditional smoke – slim and cylindrical. ‘Cigalike’ vapes are even expressly designed to resemble a real cigarette. Don’t let that fool you. E-cigarettes may echo old-style cigarettes in the way they look, but when it comes to the actual mechanics, they don’t have much in common.
- E-cigarettes work by using a battery-powered metal coil to heat e-liquid to high temperatures in a tank, converting it into a vapour for the user to inhale.
- These smokeless devices don’t contain the same harmful toxins as tobacco-based cigarettes.
- E-juice or e-liquid is made from propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycol (VG), as well as nicotine and flavourings. The ratio of PG to VG will affect the quality of your vape.
- The level of battery power used to heat the coil affects the quantity of vapour produced, so experienced users sometimes prefer variable power devices that they can adjust to their own preferences.
There’s lots more to know about how vaping works, and if you’re going to experiment with mods, you’ll need a good grounding in battery safety. But first – it’s time to experience your first vape.
How to physically ‘do’ vaping
If you’re nervous about how to use a vape and need some guidance on how to vape properly, don’t worry – we’re here to help.
- The best way to learn how to use a vape is by practising. For your first time, choose a location where you’re comfortable, and where vaping is permitted. Your own home is a good bet.
- We recommend you use a simple pen device or ‘cigalike’ for your first vape. Make sure your tank is filled with e-liquid before you start.
- Simply turn on your e-liquid-filled device, put it to your lips and inhale whilst pressing the ‘fire’ button (if there is one – otherwise just inhale). Take small puffs at first, until you get used to the sensation.
- Then exhale through the mouth or nose.
It might take a bit of getting used to, but practice makes perfect when learning how to vape properly. Once you’ve mastered the basics, you can move on to more advanced techniques.
Mouth to lung vs direct lung inhaling
Once you’ve had a few tries at vaping, you’ll understand how better to make it work for you. If you’re a former smoker, you’ll probably instinctively practise ‘mouth to lung’ inhaling (MTL) – a technique that basically does what it says on the tin.
Mouth to lung vaping refers to collecting the vapour in the mouth first before inhaling fully into the lungs. This technique combined with a high PG level e liquid can result in a strong and satisfying flavour experience
Direct to lung inhaling is a technique that gives you a bigger and more intense hit. The process is more like taking a normal breath and inhaling deeply, drawing the vapour in quickly and straight to the lungs. Due to the nicotine hit being much more direct with this technique, a lower concentration or nicotine free e liquid is often the best choice.
For beginners, starting with mouth to lung vaping will feel much more natural and is the easiest way to being . As you begin to feel more comfortable with vaping, mouth to lung vaping is something to check out and try as your progress.
Your next steps
So you’ve read up on using e-cigarettes, the best thing to do is to experiment with starter kits to achieve the best experience.
To find out how to enhance your vaping experiences check out our guide to e-liquid for beginners[link], and discover the best way to transition from smoking to vaping for tips on making the switch.